Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#11   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2011, 10:55 AM

EVE has probably one of the oldest playing base among MMOs, that generally doesn't mean its mature though.

In comparison to a lot of games it probably is one of the most mature; that's not saying much though.
      #12   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2011, 11:17 AM

early star wars galaxies was the most mature community I have ever seen, you could do things such as get other people to make chars and place buildings for you and they would never nick your stuff, people were organised and worked together and also I have never seen another game where people will actually stand in a line to wait for something without Q jumping, but then again in early SWG you relied on other players to be able to play so generally you had to be nice or you would soon find you run out of merchants and such who will sell you things.
      #13   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    early star wars galaxies was the most mature community I have ever seen, you could do things such as get other people to make chars and place buildings for you and they would never nick your stuff, people were organised and worked together and also I have never seen another game where people will actually stand in a line to wait for something without Q jumping, but then again in early SWG you relied on other players to be able to play so generally you had to be nice or you would soon find you run out of merchants and such who will sell you things.
    Don't want to stumble too far off topic into philosophical ramblings, but its interesting to see how people define maturity. For you it seems to be a lot about politeness and perhaps empathy?

EVE then, would be the anathema to this. It encourages an atmosphere of dog eat dog and cutthroatness(not a word I know) and general disdain for those who are new to the game/not very skilled. However at the same time requires extreme patience with game mechanics (necessary in eve), making strong connections with peers, and exhibiting a laid back attitude to losing ships, which tends to contrast strongly to many WoW players who rage after dying (which is essentially meaningless compared to losing a ship in EVE).

There's also an atmosphere of sarcasm/dark humour, though I suppose most would simply call it "trolling". I guess you could sum it up by saying the average experienced pilot in EVE suffers from "bittervet" syndrome.
      #14   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
    Don't want to stumble too far off topic into philosophical ramblings, but its interesting to see how people define maturity. For you it seems to be a lot about politeness and perhaps empathy?

EVE then, would be the anathema to this. It encourages an atmosphere of dog eat dog and cutthroatness(not a word I know) and general disdain for those who are new to the game/not very skilled. However at the same time requires extreme patience with game mechanics (necessary in eve), making strong connections with peers, and exhibiting a laid back attitude to losing ships, which tends to contrast strongly to many WoW players who rage after dying (which is essentially meaningless compared to losing a ship in EVE).

There's also an atmosphere of sarcasm/dark humour, though I suppose most would simply call it "trolling". I guess you could sum it up by saying the average experienced pilot in EVE suffers from "bittervet" syndrome.
    For me it's about being able to create a thread on the forum, no matter the content, without every single reply from the "mature community" being "QQ more, noob" like in EVE or "lol ur rong fagot" like in WoW.
      #15   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    For me it's about being able to create a thread on the forum, no matter the content, without every single reply from the "mature community" being "QQ more, noob" like in EVE or "lol ur rong fagot" like in WoW.
    Why would you ever post on eve-o is beyond me the rest of the eve related forums are mostly fine and the is insane amounts on ingame channels for help.
      #16   Report Post  
    Old 12-02-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Varcaus View Post
    Why would you ever post on eve-o is beyond me the rest of the eve related forums are mostly fine and the is insane amounts on ingame channels for help.
    Because it's the official EVE forum where the EVE community posts. That's why. And judging by that forum, the community aren't even close to being mature.
      #17   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2011, 12:01 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    Because it's the official EVE forum where the EVE community posts. That's why. And judging by that forum, the community aren't even close to being mature.
    If they want to be mature, they sure can.

Most of the time though, they like fooling around.
    We told you not to science, but you did you scienced anyway. You scienced that scientist with all the science in science. Following your explosive act of science upon the scientist, he scienced in retaliation that your sciencely method of sciencing could have scienced more scientifically.
      #18   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2011, 12:11 PM

because pcgamer rarely says a negative word about blizzard, even though the last great blizzard game was Warcraft 3 frozen throne 12 years ago. They are the epitome of fanboys
      #19   Report Post  
    Old 12-03-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nyhcjedi View Post
    because pcgamer rarely says a negative word about blizzard, even though the last great blizzard game was Warcraft 3 frozen throne 12 years ago. They are the epitome of fanboys
    Either you've got the wrong thread or you've got a bigger chip on your shoulder than American_Freedom

Tags

eve online, expansion, mmo, review, wow