Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-13-2011, 09:56 PM

Default Remember my password?

I was reading my PC Gamer magazine today and noticed in the article on MMO account hacking that they recommend you have the game remember your password.

That surprised me. Yeah, that lets you avoid the keylogging programs, but that password has to be stored somewhere. Even if the password is encrypted, it has to be decrypted by the MMO login program and the hackers will have a copy of that program. Am I at more risk from key loggers or from hackers pulling my password out of the registry (or wherever)?
    ...the Law [of Fives] is: All phenomena are directly or indirectly related to the number five, and this relationship can always be demonstrated, given enough ingenuity on the part of the demonstrator.
    --- Hagbard Celine in the Illuminati series
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2011, 01:35 AM

Well I don't know about risk as far as what's out there... are there like tons of people trying to install keyloggers to get MMO passwords?

Besides, keyloggers are usually on your machine. I guess one could secretly get on there, but c'mon what are you doing that you have keyloggers? (not you, OP, just a hypothetical "you")

I would, without education or even any real insight, assume that you're more likely to get your password nicked by hackers than by keyloggers. I'd also assume you're more likely to get bored with whatever MMO it is and quit before any hacker gets your password.

oh and holy shit mega props for quoting RAW in your sig

Last edited by sparkasaurusmex; 11-15-2011 at 01:37 AM. Reason: noticed Celine's law of fives
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-15-2011, 04:30 AM

I'm guessing the keyloggers are getting in via all the spam I see trying to get me to log in and fix something about my World of Warcraft account - a game I never played. They might have tricked me if I had actually been playing the thing.

(The Illuminati reference seemed timely given the Secret World coming out soon. I may have to get the game solely to create a macro that makes my character say 23 Skidoo just before logging out. )
    ...the Law [of Fives] is: All phenomena are directly or indirectly related to the number five, and this relationship can always be demonstrated, given enough ingenuity on the part of the demonstrator.
    --- Hagbard Celine in the Illuminati series

Tags

hacking, mmo, passwords, security