Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Off topic

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2011, 06:17 PM

Default Why pc gamers are a dying breed

Ok so I bought Skyrim yesterday.. and couldnt wait to get home and play it after work.
    I have a xbox and i have a pc... So i was in two minds what platform to buy it on. But the fact that mouse and keyboard beats controller and the fact that pc gamers are 10 pounds less then xbox gamers the pc version won out.

Only problem is.. after getting home i think ok ill install the game and jump right in.. WRONG! The install disk doesnt install the game.. it just links to my steam account and then starts downloading the game online?? WTF So a 5-10 minute install has turned into a 5 hour download!! so by the time its finished downloading i have 5 mins to play then i have to go to bed.. What a freaking joke. What happened to the old days when you could just install the game and play it.. didnt need to be conected to the internet or have a steam account.

Not only that but had i bought this game on my 360 when I finished it i could trade it in for another newish game.. rather then have a untradeble game because it has a 1 use only activation code. Not only that i didnt even need to waste a trip to the store buying this beer mat of a cd because i could of purchased it from steam for the exact same price I payed in the shop, for the useless cd that doesnt even install the game.

Rant off
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2011, 06:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to PatchRowcester Send a message via MSN to PatchRowcester Send a message via Yahoo to PatchRowcester

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chimera View Post
    Ok so I bought Skyrim yesterday.. and couldnt wait to get home and play it after work.
    I have a xbox and i have a pc... So i was in two minds what platform to buy it on. But the fact that mouse and keyboard beats controller and the fact that pc gamers are 10 pounds less then xbox gamers the pc version won out.

Only problem is.. after getting home i think ok ill install the game and jump right in.. WRONG! The install disk doesnt install the game.. it just links to my steam account and then starts downloading the game online?? WTF So a 5-10 minute install has turned into a 5 hour download!! so by the time its finished downloading i have 5 mins to play then i have to go to bed.. What a freaking joke. What happened to the old days when you could just install the game and play it.. didnt need to be conected to the internet or have a steam account.

Not only that but had i bought this game on my 360 when I finished it i could trade it in for another newish game.. rather then have a untradeble game because it has a 1 use only activation code. Not only that i didnt even need to waste a trip to the store buying this beer mat of a cd because i could of purchased it from steam for the exact same price I payed in the shop, for the useless cd that doesnt even install the game.

Rant off
    I am sorry that you had a bad experience.

I have a feeling you didn't have to do that download. You could have installed the game from the disk itself. Steam is stupid that way sometimes.

I had a similar experience with Just Cause 2. I bought the disk, and when I wanted to install it, steam started downloading the game. I canceled the download, and then I started installing from the disk. It was all done in 10 minutes.

I can see why this is a problem for people who are not aware of this issue.

Don't let this fool you into thinking PC gaming is bad. It isn't. It has its pros and cons, but learning to work around things is where the fun is!
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2011, 06:48 PM

the CD does install the game I know quite a few people who installed it no problem from the CD, however there was still a day 1 patch you would of needed to download and due to the type of fixes this had in it I'm guessing all formats would need this patch.

also PC gaming isn't dying and no matter how often people say it, it wont make it true. a lot of console developers are more concerned the console is dying off as every generation they move one step closer to a PC and there is only so long before they hit the point where you may as well just have a PC.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2011, 07:06 PM

I disagree PC gaming isn't dying not by a long shot. I bought Skyrim from a midnight release and got home and installed it from the disc with no problem. Maybe took 7 minutes total including downloading the patch.
    i7 3770k @ 4.4ghz | Z77 sabertooth | 2x GTX 680 4gb SLI | 16gb 2133mhz ram | 120gb force 3 ssd (programs) 256 force pro ssd (games) 120gb vertex ssd (game captures) | 2 + 4tb hdd | 2x DVD- RW | X-Fi Fatality | 1000w PSU | Cosmos 2 case

HTPC Rig
    i7 960 @ 4.0ghz | SLI GTX 580's | 12gb DDR3 1600MHZ Ram | GA-X58-UD5 | F60 ssd | force 3 120gb SSD (for games) | 2tb HDD | 4tb HDD (DVR) | infini TV quad tuner | blu-ray RW | 850w PSU | DH-103 case
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2011, 07:46 PM

Didn't Skyrim sell more on steam than MW3 did? Yes the DRM issues are annoying but Steam is not that bad since it does have pros and still allows modders to make stuff. Yes DRM is a pain in the arse but mainstream gaming will take a turn for the worse when it is eaten up by services like Onlive .

Always the indies though.
    “There has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this simple fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots.” - Ian Banks
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2011, 09:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Megazell Send a message via MSN to Megazell Send a message via Skype™ to Megazell

Something tells me you did not read up on that game before buying.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2011, 10:59 PM

Hey guys let me make this bold sweeping assertion with use of my trusty, flawed anecdote.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2011, 11:24 PM

I was not going to buy the PC version or ANY version for that matter simply because I hate the DRM preventing me from trading it when I am done with it. But I had second thoughts and instead went out and bought the PC version and then immediately downloaded a crack to circumvent steam. They get their money for the game, I get to play it on MY terms and then pass it off if I so decide. With so many cracks available on the same day the game is released, it seems stupid to even bother saddling us with the mandatory Steam model at all. Those of us seriously opposed to the DRM will always find a way around it.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-12-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
    Hey guys let me make this bold sweeping assertion with use of my trusty, flawed anecdote.
    Hey guys, I had a minor issue installing that could have been solved by judicious use of that there internet thing BUT THIS IS WHY PC GAMES ARE DYING!

Eve Online username: Illuria Nari
    BF3 soldier: Illur1a
    LoL EU username: Illurian
    WoT username: Illuria
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 11-13-2011, 02:07 AM

I think the real reason we're a dying breed is because we have trouble breeding.

Intel Core i5 4670K ♠ Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
    MSi Z87 Mpower Max ♠ 1x8GB A-DATA DDR3 1600 ♠ 1TB Samsung Spinpoint
    Nuforce Icon HDP Amp/DAC ♠ AKG K702 Headphones
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 ♠ SilverStone Temjin TJ04-E ♠ ASUS MX239H

Add me on Steam

Origin: BetaWolf7