Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#21   Report Post  
    Old 09-23-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3RV View Post
    Please tell me you're trolling..

If not then how in the world can you spend so much money on a crossfire set of HD 5970's and not know their power? It's like someone buying a 90's dodge viper and wondering if they can beat a brand new Honda Civic. If it was fast then, then it's still fast now.
    Nope not trolling. The numbers thing in GPU's genuinely confuse me. The minimum spec sheet states 5 series graphic cards, which I have. The recommended spec sheet stated 6 series. I assume 6 series is better than 5 series. The confusion lay in the fact that my 5 series card had more RAM and could do DX11 which met the recommended spec.
    I'm sorry if you think everyone with a high end spec computer must naturally have an affinity with the capabilities of every diode in their PC, but in the real world that simply isn't the case.
    I bought this PC a year and a half ago. I enjoy gaming on the PC and I understand the the RAM and CPU specs easily enough. The GPU numbering system is confusing.
    HOWEVER your response indicated that I have nothing to worry about, so that's good news at least. As to your "If it was fast then it is fast now" belief. Well that's wrong surely? If that was the case why would anyone upgrade. The 8800 was fast then and must surely be fast now then, right?...
    Anyway I'm confused. Apparently I officially don't meet the recommended specs.
    [url]http://i.imgur.com/PS13N.jpg[/url]

Last edited by Bulletzen; 09-23-2011 at 08:12 PM.
      #22   Report Post  
    Old 09-24-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bulletzen View Post
    The numbers thing in GPU's genuinely confuse me.
    I can see how i suppose but honestly it's not that hard once you get into the "stream". My stream is checking Toms Hardware every so often to see if there is any new GPU's or CPU's released. If there is to a new component I quickly read over the article and see where it ranks among other cards and develop some sort of hierarchy chart in my mind as to where it is and continually add from there.

Then again computers are a hobby of mine so my mind tends to retain knowledge gained about it better. But in the end to keep up it's essentially reading an article monthly to catch up in what is what.

Like Gossip except sadder due to the lack of social interaction *tear*, at least I won't loose brain cells by remembering this stuff though.

Quote:
    The minimum spec sheet states 5 series graphic cards, which I have. The recommended spec sheet stated 6 series. I assume 6 series is better than 5 series. The confusion lay in the fact that my 5 series card had more RAM and could do DX11 which met the recommended spec.
    Now that you put it that way *steps down from high horse* I can see where the confusion starts.

Also more RAM doesn't always mean more performance, the potency of the core contributes alot (with variations like amount of shaders and clock speeds). It's like car engines i suppose, where displacement isn't always everything (such as how a 5.0l V8 from my old Crown Vic barely makes 160 hp but yet the 3.8l V6 in my Regal GS makes 240 hp and absolutely screams).

Started thinking about cars, lost track with what i was typing, continuing on...

Quote:
    I'm sorry if you think everyone with a high end spec computer must naturally have an affinity with the capabilities of every diode in their PC, but in the real world that simply isn't the case.
    Well, i did a wonderful thing called Assumption (if you Assume you make an Ass out of U and Me) where i wrongly judged.

I assumed because usually when you see someone with a killer Crossfire/ SLI/ Sony Vaio/ Just a really f'n powerful computer they're usually a enthusiast and sometimes they like to troll other computer type peoples. My bad.

Quote:
    HOWEVER your response indicated that I have nothing to worry about, so that's good news at least.
    Well, at least something good came out of that lol.
    Quote:
    As to your "If it was fast then it is fast now" belief. Well that's wrong surely?
    Well yes and sort of no, there are variables, generally comes down to what the standard of fast is currently. And that usually when you over kill now, you'll still be fast for quite sometime (depending on how you want said thing to preform like). A 9800 GX2 is still a fast card despite it being 3 years old, so the statement still holds some truth, i guess it's up to how long ago "then" was and what "It" is.
    Quote:
    If that was the case why would anyone upgrade.
    Supply and Demand I suppose, if they want the best then they're going to have to get the best to progress with what the standard of the best is. So, demand = upgrade?

Also, there is the unexplainable upgraditis, a bad flaw found in many PC gamers where one feels the urge to upgrade even though what he has is sufficient. I guess another name for it is greed...
    Quote:
    The 8800 was fast then and must surely be fast now then, right?...
    Actually, it still kind of is, it's a bit slower than a HD 5770 but it's still more than capable of running modern games at lower settings. Though they seem to have a bit of a higher failure rate (really hot GPU + inadequate cooling = a bad mix) so people more so need to replace them rather than upgrade from them.

Quote:
    Anyway I'm confused. Apparently I officially don't meet the recommended specs.
    [url]http://i.imgur.com/PS13N.jpg[/url]
    That site be smoking crack son, you're fine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I think the real reason we're a dying breed is because we have trouble breeding.
      #23   Report Post  
    Old 09-24-2011, 10:29 AM

You're rehashed HD 5770 will do fine.

/M3RV rage[/QUOTE]

thanks....?
    i know the 6790 is only marginally better than the 5770
    I was on a tight budget for a new PC and the 6850 where I live is drastically more expensive than the 6790. So I had little choice

Tags

bf3, requirements, system