Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Magazine and site talk

#1   Report Post  
    Old 07-25-2010, 09:46 PM

Default Hot Mail and Competition prizes

Good Evening PC Gamer.

First off I would like to say that I love the magazine and I buy a copy every month. (I would subscribe but it's easier for me to pay the £5.99 a go rather than a lump sum of £40 or so)

Anyway, let me introduce myself. My name is Andy Morris. Last year I sent a letter to PC Gamer regarding immersion in video games. The month after, I had almost completely forgotten about it until suddenly I realised that the Hot Mail of the issue (July 09) sounded very familiar and lo and behold, there was my name. I was quite taken aback seeing my email printed in the magazine, not to mention it being the best of the month. I quickly glanced at the prizes section at the foot of the page.

"A 32GB USB Drive. Hmmm, could be handy." I thought

Now, over 1 year on and despite a few emails chasing the matter, I never received it. The thing is, now that I have started a new career in Web Design, this kind of thing would be really useful for me, not having the spare £70 required to purchase such a device myself.

The reason I am bringing this up now after over a year is because even more recently (a few months ago) a friend of mine, James Archibald, won one of your competitions by writing and recording a rap music video about Bioshock 2. He is still awaiting his prize (admittedly more impressive: PC worth over £1000.) He has been in touch and has been told on more than one occasion that it is being dispatched shortly.

I'm not flaming or spamming or ranting. I would just like to know how we are meant to go about getting hold of our prizes.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I will still enjoy the mag for years to come.
    All the best.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 07-25-2010, 10:43 PM
    Banned

As long as you're emailing the guys at the mag, you're essentially doing it right. Basically for the most part, prizes are often held and distributed by a third party. PCG run the comp, then tell the company the details of the winners, and the company sends on the prize. However, if the company for whatever reason isn't prompt or whatever other reason, sometimes doesn't send out the prize, or otherwise. Unfortunately, at that point they rarely feel as if they're under any sort of obligation to tell PCG that said prize didn't yet get through to the recipient. So in respect, if you don't receive a prize, you should email PCG to let them know, and they in turn will chase up with the promoter of the competition - using the Fierce Attack Grues if necessary - and sort it out, even if it means putting you in direct contact with the competition promoter to facilitate the Prize Deployment 3000(TM) system.

Keep an eye on this thread, as one of the team may be able to help you out more specifically by getting you to email their specific address - although if you want to PM one of them I'm sure they can put you through to the person in charge of this sort of thing. Although make sure you PM a member of staff from your relevant mag - US can't really help with UK and vice versa.

Last edited by The_B; 07-26-2010 at 12:35 AM.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 12:14 AM

Brilliant. I'll give that a try.

Thanks mate.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 02:56 PM

PM Tom. He was in charge of those.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 09:40 PM
    Banned

Would be nice if they could tell us on the staff page which is UK and which is US... :-)
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 10:01 PM
    Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lunatitch View Post
    Would be nice if they could tell us on the staff page which is UK and which is US... :-)
    UK:
    Craig Pearson
    Graham Smith
    Jaz McDougall
    Rich McCormick
    Tim Edwards
    Tom Francis
    Tony Ellis

US:
    Dan Stapleton
    Erik Belsaas
    Evan Lahti
    Josh Augustine
    Logan Decker
    Robert Hathorne
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 11:07 PM
    Banned

I <3 you (and this message is apparently too short!)