Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Eve Online > General Discussion

#1   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 03:40 PM

Default Do you guys need a vent server?

I just read the mining op thing, and saw that the OP was unaware of a vent server for EvE. I happen to own a vent server, and will provide one for you if needs be .
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 04:30 PM

PC Gamer has a Teamspeak server, I will post the details. It is used mainly for WoW raids so there is always someone on there. Alien Swarm is the latest big thing.

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bimble View Post
    PC Gamer has a Teamspeak server, I will post the details. It is used mainly for WoW raids so there is always someone on there. Alien Swarm is the latest big thing.
    But you mix that with EvE?

Surely EvE itself is in need of a standalone server? Especially considering the potential size of an EvE voice server which could mean lag/latency issues. I am asking this as a pure question, I really do not know
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 06:19 PM

Well, a *secure* voice server is the most important requirement. I doubt lag will be an issue if it's maintained by PCG (though you never know), but it is very important that we are abke to restrict access to the Eve section to corp members only. Right now it doesn't matter much, but as soon as we get into pvp, wars etc (ie. as soon as we have a reasonable number of members), it will become essential - and having to completely redo our entire infrastructure (voice, forums, etc) again later on would be a pain.

So, if the PCG server can be setup to allow that, then great (also - will it mean we'd have to share the command channel with people playing WoW, Alien Swarm, etc? Or do they not use it?), but if not, then we will need to find something else.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 07:19 PM

Hi
    Don't play EVE though I'd love to, but about TS:
    You can padlock channels, so they require an invite to get into, or the password. You can also make sub-channels inside channels, so you only have to lock one the main channel. Easy and secure.