Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Games

#1   Report Post  
    Old 07-25-2010, 04:52 AM

Default A Games Compatibility Wikia

Something that I've been thinking about for a while rose to the top of my sub-conscious recently while I was trying to install Sim City 2000 on my parent's laptop: there's no one stop site to go to find compatibility fixes for games.

The more I think about it the more useful I think it would be. Imagine, you go to the site, type in Sim City 2000, find the right version, see what OS and set ups it'll work on without fixes, which it will work on with fixes and systems that someone needs to find a fix for. Finding fixes often leads you on hour long journey's through the wilderness of the internet trying to find them and many more hours of frustration when you can't find one. Considering that there is usually a fix that will fix 90% of errors, this seems like a no brainer.

I just had a look at the wikia site and it seems really easy to start a wiki. Should we make it the goal of PC Gamer.com's community to get this thing going? Or does this site already exist and I just haven't found it yet? Thoughts?

#2   Report Post  
    Old 07-25-2010, 04:58 AM

Several people I have seen on forums have started PC game wikis like that, focusing on ALL issues running the games... a sort of database of problems and fixes for PC games. It never gets very far because it is a MASSIVE undertaking.

I wouldn't mind working on one, it would be a great boon for the PC community as forums have taught me people don't google when they have an issue with a game for some reason, they just complain and toss the game. Having a one-stop-shop might change that.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 07-25-2010, 05:45 AM

I think the thing to remember is it's not going to be done overnight and you wouldn't try and do it on your own. It would have to build up over time. For example, I know how to get Crimson Skies working on modern systems so I'd add an entry for Crimson Skies and post the fix. I don't however know how to get Sim City 2000 working on Windows 7 so I'd add an entry for it state the problem and flag it as fix needed.

#4   Report Post  
    Old 07-25-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
    Several people I have seen on forums have started PC game wikis like that, focusing on ALL issues running the games... a sort of database of problems and fixes for PC games. It never gets very far because it is a MASSIVE undertaking.
    The joy of a wiki is that anyone can contribute. Do any of these wikis still exist?
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 07-25-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pod View Post
    The joy of a wiki is that anyone can contribute. Do any of these wikis still exist?
    Couldn't find any with a quick search. If someone know of one please, post a link. There's no point doing this if one has already been started.

#6   Report Post  
    Old 07-25-2010, 10:25 PM

I did another search, there is [URL="http://www.ntcompatible.com/"]NT Compatible[/URL] but it's a pretty clunky site and to date I'm yet to find a solution to any game related problem on there.

EDIT: Also it's not a wiki.

Last edited by Lord Uber Dowzen; 07-25-2010 at 10:31 PM.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 07-25-2010, 11:54 PM

The closest I know of to what you're proposing, is a site called PC Gaming Standards.

[url]http://www.pcgamingstandards.com/[/url]

It's not a Wiki, but it's a nice site. The only trouble is, it hardly ever gets updated. Also, it focuses specifically on graphics fixes/updates, not on getting games to run in general.

There's also the Widescreen Gaming Forum, which more or less has the same mission as PCGS.

I think a Wiki that lists all known patches, fixes, mods, etc. for games, to get them running their best on modern versions of Windows, would be a great resource.

Last edited by redrain85; 07-26-2010 at 12:00 AM.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 07-26-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by redrain85 View Post
    The closest I know of to what you're proposing, is a site called PC Gaming Standards.

[url]http://www.pcgamingstandards.com/[/url]

It's not a Wiki, but it's a nice site. The only trouble is, it hardly ever gets updated. Also, it focuses specifically on graphics fixes/updates, not on getting games to run in general.

There's also the Widescreen Gaming Forum, which more or less has the same mission as PCGS.

I think a Wiki that lists all known patches, fixes, mods, etc. for games, to get them running their best on modern versions of Windows, would be a great resource.
    Right, something along those lines, except for compatibility. WSGF is a great site too, I'd just like to say.

Tags

compatibility, wiki