Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Rift

#1   Report Post  
    Old 07-14-2011, 07:39 PM

Default Balaam & His Healing Compendium

The purpose of this post is for me to post my findings, thoughts, builds, macro's and rotations etc for healing in this game and for others to post theirs in order to enable us all to compare and improve as individual healers to benefit the guild etc.

My history as a healer in MMO's is pretty knowledgeable as i have played either a healer or tank for many years in different games and i was the Healer Class leader & Raid Leader of 1 of the top raiding guilds in Europe in WoW, so even though this is a different game the basic priciples remain the same.

I haven't really done that much T1 & T2 healing yet because i believe all healers should do these a few times as DPS spec in order to learn not only the encouters but to see what parts of them require different healing techniqes etc before juming in head first, afterall if a healer goes in blind then 99% of times it results in wipes and people getting frustrated. However the places i have healed i have learned quite a few things and i have also studied and practiced with different builds to see what would benefit my playstyle best as a healer. In WoW i was the MT healer and want to play a similar role in Rift so this is what i have been looking at but i also what the bonus of being able to raid and keep my group alive if needed. This means i want big heals for spike damage and bonus or quick healing for my group and this is what i have come up with so far.....

My Build

[URL="http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00jGx.E0x0cstco.E0oE0hdqz"]http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00jGx.E0x0cstco.E0oE0hdqz[/URL]

The reason i am using this build is so i can heal with both Healing Invocation & Restorative Flame in order to be able to deal with spike damage on the tank while at the same time having some group healing and 2 cooldowns for a macro (that i will show further down) that can be a group saver for keeping the tank alive. As you can see i also have the Templar soul as my 3rd soul, why youy might ask? Well in this game like WoW getting free of fears, stuns, silences etc can be essential to avoid wipes and Break Free will make sure you can get out of all these (and more) imparinf effects that might happen to you. You get the templar soul from the favour vendor in Meridian, it costs 2500 favour but you can get this easily with the PVP quests from Meridian to do in Stillmore.

Rotations, Cooldowns & Macros

Rotation & Heals:
    So what heals do i use? 95% of my heals are a combination of Healing Invocation & Restorative Flame. I usually do 1 x Restorative Flame followed by 1 x Healing Invocation and keep repeating this process on the tank. The reason for this is that RF will buff the tank with Ancestral Flame to absorb some incoming damage for 9 seconds and then HI will buff the tank with Lasting Invocation which HoT's the tank for an additional 30% of the HI for 6 seconds. This means that the tank is not only getting some nice heals but as the HoT from LI constantly as well as the damage reduction from AF. It is VITAL that the tank has been buffed with Surging Flames too because any overhealing you do on him will also heal the group as long as they aren't over the over side of the map lol. I also use healing breath but in general as a rule of thumb i will save this for a group member other then the Tank, if i see someone get to 80% HP i will hit them with this instant heal, but if a group member is getting more damage i will also hit them with either a HI or RF depending on the situation. Healing Communion will be my main group heal when needed with Divine Call will my other and larger group healing spell but as there is a 1m CD on this only use it when really needed as there is no point spamming it when its not on CD and then really needing it in the fight and the CD is still ticking over and 2-3 people die. Another 2 vital buff that you MUST have on the tank at all times are Ward of the Ancestors & Latent Blaze in order to mitigate more damage on the tank and to give the tank a bonus heal when they get to below 30% HP. The final heal i use is Searing Transfusion which i cast whenever the CD is up. For dispelling i used both Cauterize & Sterilize depending on how many debuffs the player has on them and whether the CD on Sterilize is still ticking.

Macro's
    Now for macros, ALL yes ALL the spells (apart from buffs) i use as a healer that are not auto cast on myself are mousover macro's...... why? Well mousover macros make you a more efficient healer, will increase your HPS & can save time in that vital situation where you need to switch target quickly and save the day My playstyle with doing this means i have the tank permenantly targetted at all times possible and if i need to cast a spell on another member of the raid/group then i move my mouse cursor over their name in my raid frames box and press the corresponding number for the macro on my action bar. This way when i'm not mousing over someone else then all my heals and other spells are hitting the MT at all times. Here are my list of macro's for general heals/dispells etc:

#show Healing Invocation
    cast @mouseover Healing Invocation

#show Restorative Flame
    cast @mouseover Restorative Flame

#show Healing Breath
    cast @mouseover Healing Breath

#show Healing Communion
    cast @mouseover Healing Communion

#show Divine Call
    cast @mouseover Divine Call

#show Ward of the Ancestors
    cast @mouseover Ward of the Ancestors

#show Latent Blaze
    cast @mouseover Latent Blaze

#show Searing Transfusion
    cast @mouseover Searing Transfusion

#show Cauterize
    cast @mouseover Cauterize

#show Sterilize
    cast @mouseover Sterilize

Cooldows & CD Macro's
    Another good thing about this build is the combination of cooldowns you possess that can save your group in a dire situation, and for these cooldowns i have made macro's:

* The first is for when for any reason you tank is about to die:-
    #show Healer's Covenant
    cast @mouseover Healer's Covenant
    cast @mouseover Flashover
    cast @mouseover Touch the Light
    For this macro spam the button 4 times really quickly and what this does is basically instantly reduces damage the tank is receiving by 40%, causes the HI i cast at the end to crit for a big heal, makes HI an instant cast and also HoT's the tank for some nice respectable crit HoT's for 6 seconds.
    With this HC has a 120sec CD whereas FO & ToL are 45 seconds. If the tank is in trouble again after 45 seconds but before 120 seconds then it is fine as this macro will work again for an instant big crit heal with the HoT's but the tank will not get the reduced damage from HC as it will still be on CD.

* The second CD macro i use is for some nice heals both on the MT & the group:-
    #show Healer's Haste
    cast @mouseover Healer's Haste
    cast @mouseover Fiery Blessing
    You will need to press the macro button for this on your action bar quickly twice to activate this and this macro will not only give you Serendipity buff after you cast your first heal after it's use and because the MT has been buffed with Surging Flames then using this macro before your general healing rotation with keep the MT & Group topped up for upto 15 seconds after using it.

* The final CD macro, well we have all been in those situations where the entire group is taking massive damage haven't we.Well a combination of the first 2 macro's can save the group from a situation like this:
    #show Healer's Haste
    cast @mouseover Healer's Haste
    cast @mouseover Fiery Blessing
    cast @mouseover Healer's Covenant
    cast @mouseover Flashover
    cast @mouseover Touch the Light
    You will need to spam the macro button for this 6 times before quickly getting back to your rotation.

Conclusion
    I have found this build and the things i do with it to be a good solid tank healing build with some respectable HoT's & AOE heals too, obviously this is build geared mainly for big singular heals to mitigate spike damage so the HoT's and AOE heals will not be as good as other builds and hopefully a healer who plays/prefers that style of healing will reply to this thread with a post of their own. Please feel free to comment on this post if you see any flaws in it or some improvements i might have overlooked.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 07-17-2011, 09:33 PM

Great post! thanks Balaam.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 08-01-2011, 06:09 PM

Good post! Thanks.. Would cast @mouseoverui not be better for bigger groups? I find it easier to hover over the UI character panel and heal then the actual character, esp when everyone is running around etc.
    Boomshakalaka - 25 Rogue

Yup... I like alts....
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 08-01-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Healzz View Post
    Good post! Thanks.. Would cast @mouseoverui not be better for bigger groups? I find it easier to hover over the UI character panel and heal then the actual character, esp when everyone is running around etc.
    You don't actually mousover the player ingame you mouseover their name in raid frames so u can quickly go from 1 person to anothers name.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 08-01-2011, 07:38 PM

Nice :O Will use some of this when I get back ^^ Too bad I missed you in-game as I am leaving for vacation now, have fun guys (balaam and healzz) and see you soon
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 08-02-2011, 06:32 AM

Ah - I thought you had to use @mouseoverui for that... Cheers
    Boomshakalaka - 25 Rogue

Yup... I like alts....