Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Class Discussion

#1   Report Post  
    Old 06-23-2011, 07:45 AM

Default Priest Levelling with intent to heal.

Hi all,

So i've just started my long haul as a Priest and as it's a class that i have never played seriously before i am asking if anyone could give me some tips.

I intend on Healing in dungeons etc but i will also be soloing alot of quests, so all help is very welcome.

I have heard that the Discipline tree is a good all rounder, but then i have heard that its not such a viable healing spec.

I look forward to all help.

Hellmort
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 06-23-2011, 08:11 AM

I was under the impression that Discipline was more aimed at PvP cause of the damage blocking but i've seen it work in cata heroic.

First step for healing, get Healbot Continued and set it up, makes healing way easier imo.

Second you need to find a priest and have a look at their gear [URL="http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/steamwheedle-cartel/Wyrmy/advanced"]Wrmry[/URL] is a Holy priest, so have a look at him

Third when you hit 85 yell in /g until you've got a guild group to help you through dungeons. And if you want to try healing a raid, try get on a BH group

Good Luck
    Ulthaze the Astral Walker - 85 Goblin Tailoring Priest - PCG Alt

Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/Ulth
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 AM

Disco used to be for PvP, back in The Burning Crusade. Nowadays, both Holy and Disco are perfectly viable raiding specs; in fact, some raid encounters are made much easier by the inclusion of a Disco priest.

Priests are the most versatile healing class, and so your choice of spec really comes down to your preferred playstyle and your raid composition.

For levelling, I would always use Shadow. You still have enough healing power to manage normal instances, and questing is far easier. If you're getting toward heroics and you want to heal, I'd reccomend Disco, as Holy doesn't have the burst power until you're kitted out in higher level gear, imho.

If you are being disco, stack up the int and the mastery, with as much spirit as you can get for now. If you're opting for Holy, those stats are still great, but so is haste.

I've healed all the normal raid fights, and 6 of the heroic encounters. I have both holy and disco spec, and gear sets for both, and the majority of the time I opt for Disco, so it is very viable.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 06-23-2011, 08:35 AM

Disco is a fully functional pve healing spec. It works somewhat as a questing spec, so you are able to deal some damage, but you can get dual spec at lvl 30 for very little gold, so you can have a separate shadow spec for dps/questing pretty early on.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 06-23-2011, 08:46 AM

Thanks for all your help, i will opt for Disco with Shadow as a secondary spec.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 07-04-2011, 11:52 AM

Hey matey,

Just come back from my Hols so only just picked up this thread.
    I think im one of the only PCG raiding Priests, I am Holy/Disc.
    If you need any help gimme a shout on here or via a whisper in game.

I played Disco through levelling and all the way to killing ol Lichy, but back then we were bubble machines topping healing meters and relishing the smugness of being a needed raid member. Now I stare at Druid/Shammy numbers are want to cry.

For Cata I was instructed to go Holy by Darieth as the bubbles were getting nerfed. Let me know what you think of it now (think it has been boofed again).

Wyrmy
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 07-05-2011, 10:06 AM

Thanks Wyrmy,

My experience is limited to pug dungeons atm and levelling.

For levelling I find Disco brilliant and for dungeons i find.........well disco brilliant haha.

But at this level a bubble and a renew seem to be enough for most of the heals required.

I will let you know as the levels progress at how it feels.

75 upwards will probably be the main time to say.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 07-05-2011, 10:28 AM

If it still exists, the talent as a Disco priest that makes your Smite & Holy Fire heal the lowest HP member in your group is a godsend for healing dungeons, it means you can pretty much just spam Holy Fire & Smite Smite Smite and the group should stay full... Using Pennance / Bubble / Renew if things get tough.

It's a walk in the park.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 07-05-2011, 11:47 AM

So the Smite Mechanic is still valid?
    I found the idea a bit strange tbh, especially if hit needs to be capped in order to hit raid bosses for the buff.

Is penance still the uber hitting spell, I used to love using it, especially on Festergut/Rotface fights, topping the tank up fast is always good.

Wyrmy
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 07-05-2011, 12:14 PM

Penance is a bit of a problem in low level PUG's.

Its such a surefire fast heal that the lack of threat tools that the Tanks posess at my level, you can be sure that a Fade is quickly incoming from myself.

However, on a Paladin tank it seems to work better.

Once again though its a level relative thing with me and im sure as the levels go up and the tanks tank better, i will be able to use it more.

However, as a levelling tool its brilliant and kicks the living daylights out of mobs whilst using it as an offensive tool.