Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Raids and Events

#1   Report Post  
    Old 01-05-2011, 03:12 PM

Default WTF is Raiding?

Hi there,

We have a lot of new players, some of them new to WoW. There's a lot of talk on these forums about raiding, and I know from my own experience 5 years ago how overwhelming it can be to try to get to grips with WoW's endgame.

So here's my "newbies guide to not being a noob".

What is raiding?
    Raids are special instances (or 'dungeons') for max-level players, with more challenging bosses and epic-level (that's purple) loot. You've probably done some 5-man dungeons whilst levelling. Raids are similar, but they're longer, harder, and designed for larger groups. In Cata, any of the raids can be attempted in 10-player or 25-player mode.

PCG currently runs 10-player teams, and so is tackling the raids in 10-player mode. The rewards are the same in either mode, and so are the fights, for the most part.

What are the level 85 raids?
    There are currently three raid instances available; The Bastion of Twilight (a big twisting spire in Twilight Highlands), the Throne of the Four Winds (a windy place in south Uldum) and Blackwing Descent (a dragon-filled cave in Blackrock Mountain).

Bastion of Twilight (BoT) has 4 boss encounters, Throne of the Four Winds (TotFW) has 2 boss encounters, and Blackwing Descent (BWD) has 6 boss encounters (not including a super special secret boss only available in heroic mode).

What's heroic mode?
    Once you have completed one of the raid instances (i.e. killed all the bosses), you're allowed to attempt the bosses on heroic mode. Heroic mode bosses sometimes have different abilities, and are always harder than normal mode.

How long does a raid take?
    PCG's 10-man teams currently schedule their raid evenings for between 3 and 4 hours.

What are the raid teams?
    Currently, only Team Epic, Team Awesome and Team Win have started level 85 raiding. As more players get to 85 and get raid-ready, there will be further opportunities.

That sounds really fun, how can I get involved?
    First of all, you need to be level 85. Once you're at max level, the only way to improve your stats (your strength, agility, intellect etc.) is to get better gear (equipment). You can do this with quest rewards, doing heroic versions of the level 80+ dungeons, tradeskills like leatherworking or tailoring and spending the Justice and Valour Points that you'll earn by doing heroic 5-man instances.

Once you have the gear for raiding (ask a friendly raider to have a look at your stuff if you're unsure), you need to make sure your talent choices are right for raiding. There are loads of resources on the internet, but often it's best to look at the talent choices of PCG's most successful raiders of your class. Ditto for glyphs.

You'll also need consumables. First there's food; not the normal kind that you eat to regain health, but special food that, when eaten for 10 seconds, gives you a 'well fed' buff, and a boost to some of your stats. Make sure you have the right food for your class.

Second, you'll need flasks. Flasks give you a large boost to a chosen stat (depending on which flask you drink) which lasts for an hour and, unlike food, persists through death. In raids, you die a lot, and so flasks are great. Never turn up to a raid without enough flasks.

Finally, there are potions. These are usually cheap to make, and we have several friendly guild alchemists around. For tanks, health potions are obviously great, and for healers mana pots are crucial. For DPS, there are various options that give you a short damage boost, which is again very important for raiding.

Finally, you need good knowledge. You need to know your class well, and understand the best way to contribute the most damage/healing to any fight. The internet is your friend, for spell rotations etc. You also need knowledge of the bosses you'll be facing. Some fights can last upwards of 10 minutes, with several phases, and abilities that can kill you in seconds if you don't expect them. Knowledge is powah!

If you've done all the above, and think you're ready for WoW's ultimate challenges, then have a loot at which raid teams the Guild is currently operating, and who has space for your class. If you're struggling, speak with one of the team leaders or me.

Good luck, and Lok'Tar Ogar!

Last edited by Darieth; 01-05-2011 at 03:34 PM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 01-05-2011, 03:22 PM

Nice! Added the below for possible immediate contacts for the existing raid teams, but any officer will be able to assist!

Awesome Leader: Aphaeus (and Sarkris?)
    Win Leader: Akee/Jecaa
    Epicwtfpwned: Darieth.

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 01-05-2011, 05:43 PM

no body ever thinks of super so keep an eye on the calendar as team super stuff kicks off this week end and we may need some extras still.

when I saw the title tho I thought it was about time darieth learnt what raiding was
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 01-05-2011, 05:48 PM

Super hasn't yet begun raiding though. Although it doesn't take much heroic running to be ready to raid really. Well, not much by my standards.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 01-05-2011, 09:10 PM

klog hopping after the heroics this week to be ready, guess we will see how it goes. but we aint far off starting to raid.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 01-06-2011, 01:27 PM

It might also be worth mentioning which add-ons are also required for raiding as well
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 01-06-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oninomark View Post
    It might also be worth mentioning which add-ons are also required for raiding as well
    there aren't any real required addons for raiding (you can raid without them) it's just a case of what you feel comfortable with as only you know if it makes your life easier or not and these differ from one class to another. the only thing I would say you really should always use is omen as it shows you how close you are to pulling agro from the tank.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 01-06-2011, 02:25 PM

I disagree; I would never take anyone on a raid who didn't have an up-to-date boss mod and threat meter, at least. Any class who can dispel/cleanse should also have an addon that facilitates this. Healers should use an addon that allows them to heal quickly, ideally without having to target the person they want to heal.

The addons I use are:

Deadly Boss Mods (tells you when various abilities are about to go off, mandatory)
    Omen (threat meter, mandatory)
    Healbot (my healing addon, some people prefer Grid or Vuhdo, or even Blizz UI with /mouseover macros)
    Raid Buff Status (only raid leaders need that)
    Chatter (allows me to seperate Raid Chat, which is important during a raid, from Guild Chat, which is usually not)
    Quartz (cast bar, displays lag, and also various cooldowns)

I know other players who use many more addons, but as a healer I don't find them helpful.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 01-06-2011, 03:39 PM

I agree with Darieth, DBM and Omen (or similar) are a must have for raiding, everything else is personal choice.

I use:
    DBM
    Omen
    Recount - not so I can see who is top DPS but for deaths, healing etc, I do use the DPS meters but as a raid leader (are we pulling enough etc) rather than for personal use

That's all I use at the moment. I used to us raid buff status but I haven't reinstalled it since the patch...I will one day soon and catch certain Team Awesome members out. I have issues with my PC though so the less I have running the better!

Different guilds/teams use different add ons so you should always ask first (some use loot add ons etc), but DBM and Omen are the only must haves for a PCG raid.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 01-09-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darieth View Post
    I disagree; I would never take anyone on a raid who didn't have an up-to-date boss mod and threat meter, at least. l.
    Well, i raided without main addons (including a boos mod) for a while, and you took me to them for a good few months.

Thought id say that, you dont NEED them, as much as you seem to say, but they are very very helpful, and i am not saying they are useless, dont get my wording wrong, but you arnt completely useless without a full set.

Saying that, healers do need them more, as it makes healing a ton easier with healbot, vuhdo, or similar. but again, nothing in wow is not possible without addons.

Oh and a 3rd point, now in cataclysm raiding is just a fraction harder (I made a joke, see what i did there?) it would take a fool not to make an effort to get them, unless your using a bad computer like i was and couldnt handle addons

ohhhh and see your reason for using chatter, you dont need chatter to do that (I use the same addon, just so i can tell the time people say things) you can change the chat option etc without it.

Last edited by leviethan; 01-09-2011 at 12:28 AM.