Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU)

#1   Report Post  
    Old 10-27-2010, 11:35 AM

Default Cost of WOW

How much has WoW cost you over the years?

If you bought the game on release and you still have an account now, how much would that work out to?
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 10-27-2010, 11:42 AM

A lot, but if i didnt think it was worth is i wouldnt pay for it! i just forked out £47 for another 6 months.

I'd rather pay a monthly fee for a game i play a lot than spend £30 on a game i only play a couple of times, and believe me i have stacks of those. Age of Empires 3 is still in its cellophane wrapping from god knows when!
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 10-27-2010, 11:42 AM

I remember burning through nearly £30 forgetting I was still subscribed. But anyway in total it's probably cost me over £200. Dang. That was just trying to get into the game too I never got to the point where I found it enjoyable.

EDIT: I say I never enjoyed it, but I enjoyed the beginning the first time. It's when I realised how bad most people are in the game that I lost all interest and also the grind to get to the enjoyable content which I'd have to do with the help of said people.

Last edited by Alm; 10-27-2010 at 11:44 AM.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 10-27-2010, 11:47 AM

Just checked my account history and I have spent £467.40 since 12th Feb 2005. That does not include the cost of the game and expansions. I added up all the time it's 4.5 years plus the free month plus 19 free days.

Interestingly the cost has stayed the same so in real financial terms it is getting cheaper to play.

Realm First! Zen Master Cook - 25th Sep 2012

Last edited by Bimble; 10-27-2010 at 12:00 PM.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 10-28-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bimble View Post
    Just checked my account history and I have spent £467.40 since 12th Feb 2005. That does not include the cost of the game and expansions. I added up all the time it's 4.5 years plus the free month plus 19 free days.

Interestingly the cost has stayed the same so in real financial terms it is getting cheaper to play.
    Mine will be a similar cost. I've not been able to access my account to check primarily because i've not got my authenticator with me.

I've also coughed up for all the expansions and i'm also one of the real nutjobs that spent cash on said authenticator, ingame pets, mounts etc.

I will say that in the long run i may have paid less than some one who does pay monthly as you pay less for the 6 monthly installments. I'm probably up in the £500 range.

I play wow almost everyday, but do branch out to play other games that have caught my eye. I will say that overall I've probably saved cash playing wow as i wouldnt have spent oodles more over the last five years playing other games at 30 quid a pop. i've managed to picky up the majority of the last few years through steam at a vastly discounted rate predominetly.

I still have an addon with the number of days played on my sole surviving original character (ironically not my main) and he totals 486 days played. When that figure comes up thats pretty scary. Whats that 15months on a single character??! Madness really.

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 10-27-2010, 11:59 AM

You have to admire Blizzard for being able to get hundreds of pounds out of millions of players over such a long time. I don't see how their figures can ever be beaten now that F2P is the model of choice.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 10-28-2010, 04:00 AM

I've got to totally agree with Uru on this one. If I did not play WoW, I'd have spent a lot more on other games. It's the time that I've spent on the game that frightens me at times.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 10-28-2010, 07:56 PM

Played on and off since beta, have all extra content, paid for char transfers etc. etc. so, a small fortune.

However.... rarely buy many other games, some that charge 40 quid for 6 hours play (you know who you are!!). so saved more month by month really. Also, at, what, say under £2.50 a week, to play nearly 24/7 if I wish, is darn cheap entertainment.

And for those that say its a con from Blizz if we have paid 500 quid since launch to play, I will throw that old argument back that, how much have you spent on bear or fags if you add it all up? (omg, what a thought!)
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 10-29-2010, 08:49 AM

Talking

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maboya View Post
    And for those that say its a con from Blizz if we have paid 500 quid since launch to play, I will throw that old argument back that, how much have you spent on bear or fags if you add it all up? (omg, what a thought!)
    I think the major thing for me is how much have i spent on booze and food whilst playing wow thats the main issue

PCG Game Club
    Steam

Also on Origin
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 10-29-2010, 09:56 AM

Agree with what's been said. Despite paying a small fortune to Blizzard for 'one game' (plus pets, mounts etc) I have saved money elsewhere.
    That is not to say I simply sit at my computer 24/7 but I am not out drinking etc every night for entertainment. Also, it keeps me out of trouble!

As long as you make good use of it I think that its good value for money considering the time spent on it!