Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer

#1   Report Post  
    Old 09-19-2010, 01:53 PM

Default Lord of the rings Online

Just started playing this game since it went to F2P, liking it so far its a nice change while I wait for cata and guild wars 2. Wondering if any other pc gamer forum members play the game?

my name is Fallenangels and I'm on the world/server crickhollow. Feel free to add me.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 09-22-2010, 04:39 PM

I asuming thats the American Client your playing on since [URL="http://media-empire.net/spam/Images/stoneage1.jpg"]the european edition of the game is still lagging behind going to F2P[/URL]

What are your first impressions? do you like the new store system?
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 09-22-2010, 07:09 PM

Yes I'm playing on the American client, even though I'm from the uk thats what I usually do play wow on the usa client also seeming most my friends are on it.

I like the game so far its a refreshing change from world of warcraft while I wait for the next expanision I'm kind of burned out of wow at the moment. The Epic story quests are great so far I'm on the first book and its nice to see some voice acting and some cutscenes. The combat is not as fluid as I'm used to and takes a while to get used to. But all in all its great for a free game and has lots of lore/story included in the quests.

The store is okay I guess, cant really complain much. The turbine points aint hard to get to be honnest I have about 170 so far at level 19 from quests/deeds and the first quest pack is around 300 -350 points if I remember correctly.

Its worth a download to try it out if your at all intrested.

Last edited by fallenangels; 09-22-2010 at 07:15 PM.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 09-22-2010, 11:20 PM

I used to play it an enjoyed it. I stopped playing because the textures kept loading very slowly for me and making it extremely choppy. Where do you get the US client from?
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrHat View Post
    I used to play it an enjoyed it. I stopped playing because the textures kept loading very slowly for me and making it extremely choppy. Where do you get the US client from?
    You can get it from here [url]http://www.lotro.com/support/download-lotro[/url] at least I think thats the US one, I just created an account and it allowed me to download it.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 09-26-2010, 10:10 AM

Any clues as to when the UK edition will be F2P? Downloaded the trial hoping it would happen within the two weeks but it begins to look like I may have misjudged it...
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 09-28-2010, 01:10 PM

Location: a gated compound at a secret location in rural America

i have been playing lotro since its last alpha in late '06

loved the game so much i have 2 lifetimes accounts , 1 premium and a free one for my son.

i have always considered it the Crysis of mmos due to its high detail and how hard it makes your gpu work.

this is definitely a game where more gpu ram is better.

they recently added support for dx11 and while doing so they have tweaked dx10/9 in such a way that where i could only run max setting in dx9..i can now do so in dx10.

on top of that...they have redone the textures on most all the mobs making everything even more awesome.

just an FYI to all you non-US folks...we have many players on the NA servers from Oceania/Aus/NZ and europe..i personally know many from the UK/Germany and even South America.

you can sign up for a free account and get either the standard or high-res clients [URL="http://www.lotro.com/?lang=en_US&"]>>>HERE<<<[/URL]

while there is end-game raiding and pvmp..the story and your role in it is what makes lotro so great.

and the awesome visuals dont hurt none either!!

wow..i sound like a fanboi
    dont get me wrong now while i do love lotro ( it is the only mmo to ever hold my interest beyond 6 months) it aint perfect.

just like any other game out there it has its issues.
    but the dev team is top-notch and almost ALL the original devs are still there working on it(a rarity these days)

they recently added 4 servers bring the total up to 15...if playing off-USA hours conceerns you may i suggest Elendilmir..it is one of the original server and considered one of the big 3...AND more importantly it is the unofficial Oceanic server and as such has players on it pretty much 'round the clock.

if ya got any questions..just ask!!
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 10-12-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darktan View Post
    Any clues as to when the UK edition will be F2P? Downloaded the trial hoping it would happen within the two weeks but it begins to look like I may have misjudged it...
    As a holder of a Lifetime sub on the euro (codemasters) servers, I can tell you it isn't looking good.

[URL="http://community.codemasters.com/forum/lotro-free-play-discussion-1330"]the official free to play forums[/URL] are swamped with threads of upset people waiting for f2p to launch.

#9   Report Post  
    Old 10-12-2010, 03:27 PM

Location: a gated compound at a secret location in rural America

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Krieg View Post
    As a holder of a Lifetime sub on the euro (codemasters) servers, I can tell you it isn't looking good.

[URL="http://community.codemasters.com/forum/lotro-free-play-discussion-1330"]the official free to play forums[/URL] are swamped with threads of upset people waiting for f2p to launch.

ya also a few folks on the turbine forums asking about it.

but they cant legally say anything it seems...its all on CM's head

my gut felling is that CM is dragging its feet for some reason....

but hey...if ya dont have any time invested in toons on the EU server...or heck even if you do....

there is plenty of room on the NA servers....as ive said..we have alot of EU players especially now that we got this f2p/p2p hybrid going.

ya know....too bad we couldnt get PCG to have The Spy mosey over to CM's UK offices and find out a lil something something

Last edited by unclecid; 10-12-2010 at 03:30 PM.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 10-12-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unclecid View Post
    ya also a few folks on the turbine forums asking about it.

but they cant legally say anything it seems...its all on CM's head

my gut felling is that CM is dragging its feet for some reason....

but hey...if ya dont have any time invested in toons on the EU server...or heck even if you do....

there is plenty of room on the NA servers....as ive said..we have alot of EU players especially now that we got this f2p/p2p hybrid going.

ya know....too bad we couldnt get PCG to have The Spy mosey over to CM's UK offices and find out a lil something something
    I'd love the spy to find out WTF is going on over there . Although I'd never give up my 3+ year old characters and lifetimesub, I think I will start a NA account until CM gets its act together.

So what sever are you'all playing on?