Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU) > Raids and Events > Team Win

#1   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 PM

Default Steelhide's Elegon progress report

There is a fair chance that I will be late or absent on Thursday so in case Win gets as far as Elegon I will pass on the information we gained from dying lots and lots of times. I was tanking so the report is mostly from that point of view.

We had Goffik tank the boss first by charging him from the North, whilst everyone else run in from the East (starting area) to hit him. After 20 second or so an add would spawn and I would taunt it and pull it towards the east side of the ring. I tried so slip out as soon as I got there to drop my debuff stacks but kept the boss in the ring until it had ~30% health left. It would have under 25% by the time I then dragged it all the way outside and would die quickly. I found my DK anti-magic shell was extremely effective against the Total Annihilation. I have it glyphed and this allowed me to ignore all the damage that it would normally inflict.

With my stacks clear I then ran over to where Goffik was still tanking. I kept an eye on Elegon's cast bar because there was no sense in my running in if he was just about to cast his breath as we would both be hit. I also wanted to avoid taunting early as this might have turned the breath towards the raid. Once it was safe I took over tanking and immediately started taking horrendous damage. I died several times at this stage and could only survive using a variety of survival tricks each time, especially during the celestial breath and the second Total Annihilation. Goffik finally took over and I was able to run east to drop my stacks just before the next add appeared.

Throughout all this the healers and ranged were all pretty much standing on the east edge of the ring and were just moving out occasionally to remove their stacks. The mêlée were attacking the boss from its east side and either using survival cooldowns or dropping their stacks by following the add each time. I believe we found that leaving the mêlée attacking the boss instead of dropping stacks did not lead to a significant increase in damage to the boss.

After a few shot we got to phase two before a fourth add spawned. Our earlier attempts had an add spawn just as phase two started, which was disastrous. Each mêlée was assigned to a node, with the two tanks assisting the lower DPS players, one on the north side and one on the south side. We struggled to even kill two waves of draw power adds without messing up. Upon failure I had to run from the south east node to the north end of the room and, having no speed-up tricks, I found it extremely difficult to safely make it in time. We really need for people to type or say on Vent when a node will be reached so we know to get into position.

I don't think we really got a satisfactory shot at the next phase. We tried to get the south team to take out the NW, SW and S nodes whilst the north team took out the N, NE and SE nodes. This would have meant that we would meet up at the east end of the platform once all the nodes were dead. The adds are pretty random and your side can get get hardly any or loads at once. Killing the columns quicker obviously means fewer adds. There seems to be a fairly long grace period before any adds start to appear. They are mostly just a nuisance but must be tanked and are pretty distracting.

I think that is pretty much all the information I can offer based on how far we got. It may help people if we need to fight him with a different group.

Enion / Steelhide
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
    There seems to be a fairly long grace period before any adds start to appear. They are mostly just a nuisance but must be tanked and are pretty distracting.
    they start when the first tower dies and stop when the last tower dies.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    they start when the first tower dies and stop when the last tower dies.
    Thats good to know, so in a perfect world we'd kill them all at the same time.

Do you kill a tower each or do them in turn like us? (sounds like 1 each would/could be better)
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 11-20-2012, 11:07 PM

we do one each with the tanks helping the weaker DPS, but basically splitting it so a tank and healer is on either side to keep the 3 DPS alive.

but if you are getting 3 or 4 adds in the first phase and only a couple of sparks you are going to be hitting the enrage quite early, we are getting about 2 adds in the first phase and killing 4 or 5 sets of sparks each time but still hitting the enrage closest we have been was about 13%.

really is a hard DPS target, just got to try to switch targets fast (we leave 2 DPS on the boss normally melee with them running out to reset stacks) and it's the same with the sparks you need to forget your rotations and go for your classes fastest hardest hitting abilities.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 11-21-2012, 07:48 AM

Here is what we have found made Elegon a little easier:

- One tank runs in and taunts the boss. As the first add spawns the second tank runs in and takes the boss whilst the first tank takes the add. This avoids any overstacking of overcharge on the first tank if the add takes forever to die.

- Leave two melee or a melee and a DPS on the boss. The DPS in that first phase is crucial. Let them reset their stacks when they need to and ignore the add.

- DPS should be inside the bubble at all times, unless they are resetting their stacks in which case they run in and out, no need to stop.

- You need to burn the boss down to 85% with only two adds spawning. Three is pushing the enrage timer, two makes a world of difference.

- Phase 2 you need to assign a pillar to each DPS, also put a healer and a tank on each side. You are aiming to kill at least 4 waves of orbs. The kill the pillars as quickly as you can.

- Once the pillars are down, stack up again with one tank taking all of the adds and the other waiting for Elegon to come back. Once Elegon is back up, one tank takes him, all of the DPS move onto the platform and nuke the adds. The tank with the adds stays outside the platform (to avoid the damage debuff). The adds should be dead by the time the first celestial spawns, rinse and repeat.

It really is a killer fight and DPS need to be on top form at all times. The more orbs you kill the better and the longer the DPS are on the boss the better. Although you can get to the final phase with 3 adds spawning in phase 1 and only killing 3 orbs each wave your healers will be OOM and you will hit the enrage timer early.

It takes a bit of learning but you guys will get there.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 11-21-2012, 11:16 AM

The platform's buff area is actually a dome, so if you stand on the very edge, you can just jump to reset your stacks.

It's a DPS loss to leave melee on the boss and make them run out to reset stacks; much better to have them follow the add and reset whilst DPSing it. You can always leave a ranged on the boss.

That way, when as add dies, everyone (save for the current MT) should be in the same place, which makes AMZ absolutely OP to reduce the damage from the explosion. DK cheats FTW.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 11-21-2012, 11:44 AM

Is it really a DPS loss?

We generally have one melee and one ranged on the boss but we found that the boss DPS was higher leaving the melee to reset their stacks as they needed and just ignoring the add and healing them wasn't a problem. The other ranged kill the add quick enough anyway.

I have to say that we have tried it both ways and leaving the melee in worked best for us, but I guess it all depends on the team set up etc.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 11-21-2012, 01:12 PM

most of us do the jumping still a few who run in and out.

but I can see what dari is saying, if the melee are chasing the add they are constantly doing damage even while resetting while a couple of ranged on the boss can reset without losing any time on the boss (other than maybe a slightly delayed cast for the jump) so the damage on the boss should be higher, the only reason we got to 2 adds last night was because the DPS was just say close enough for me to stay on the boss until all my cool downs were gone, then help finish the add off, but this was most likely because of tofe having to keep running out to reset, get rid of the need to run in and out and you will have a improvement on damage on the boss. also with 2 of the top 4 DPS on the boss it should come down a lot faster.
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 11-21-2012, 02:01 PM

A few more tips, mainly mage related.
    As Darieth mentioned, use the jump to reset stacks technique whenever you can. This is easy to set up for the start of the fight. Not so easy after. You want to try and time an instant cast spell when you are jumping so that you do not lose out on dps. Being a fire mage this is quite easy. Either I do it when I refresh my bomb, get a proc and use fire blast/inferno blast, Pyroblast!, or one of my shields.
    Make sure to clear your stacks before each Total Annihilation. This is imperative. Your healers will oom way to quickly otherwise. If you have any self-healing or shields then use them for this.
    You want to get the adds in p1 down to about 700k before pulling them out of the inner ring. This seemed to be our sweet spot. It gives the tank enough time to drag him out before you kill it. But be careful. Last thing you want is for the add to either die within the inner ring which will give it the damage increase, or for it to go out too soon (above 25%) and have the 90% damage reduction on it.
    The sparks in p2 are another real dps race. You want to spend as much time between sparks hitting the boss. If you get procs then it tends to be best to keep these for the sparks. You want to be getting both a Pyroblast! and a heating up set up for each spark. If you manage to get both, then they will die quickly. Without a Pyroblast!, it's going to be harder, especially when you get to the third and more waves. Keep Combustion for either the forth or fifth wave as you will need your really big hitters at that stage due to the speed of the sparks. Remember that it's not how many waves you kill, but how many spawn that matter. eg If you kill 3 waves the boss will get 4 stacks.
    When the sparks overwhelm you, keep hitting the boss until the pillars are targetable. Also utilise the inner circle 50% damage buff as much as possible. Just make sure to get off before it disappears

Last edited by Zalid; 11-21-2012 at 02:04 PM.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 11-21-2012, 02:14 PM

I see Darieth's point, it just seems to be the opposite for us.

When Tofe was hitting the add and resetting her stacks her DPS was significantly lower, which is how I noticed that she had been doing that rather than hitting the boss. Maybe she was then staying out for anihilation rather than running straight back in? That would certainly have lowered her DPS rather than increased it.