Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Eve Online > General Discussion

#1   Report Post  
    Old 09-07-2010, 07:54 AM

Default t3 cross training

Cross training question.

Right, assuming a massive tax bill doesn’t land on my doorstep today I’ll be re-subbing this weekend. I was in the process of training for a Proteus, for solo WH and low-sec/null exploration (running plexe’s, anomalies etc).
    I keep hearing that the Tengu is the better option for PvE. Repeatedly. A lot. So a few questions- and I’m assuming a few of the older players may have info on this;
    -Is the slight reduction in the proteus pve effectiveness offset by its capacity to double as a pvp boat (i.e. if you get pirated you have better than even chances of getting out/killing them- assuming no blob obv).
    -Is the Tengu really superior to the proteus for pve- specifically anomalies and upto C3’s?
    -How much of a hassle is it for a gallente focused pilot (only average missile skills) to cross train for a tengu and is it worth the effort?
    -What DO I need to train to be able to fly it? i.e. do I need to go and get all the (amarr??) frigate skills up to five and THEN train all the subsystem skills, or is there like a ‘cross training’ skill I need?

Cheeeeers.

-------
    An irreverent look at gaming, and film; www.TheFunTurret.com
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 09-07-2010, 09:46 AM

The Tengu is superior for pve in dangerous (read: 0.0/wh/low-sec) as it is possible to setup the ship to be "unprobable", while still having a good tank and decent damage. I think you can make a prot unprobable as well but do not know what sort of setup is required.

Missiles are viewed as better than say blasters/rails as the offer a constant DPS up to their max range.
    Whether it is worth you cross-training is something you have to decide for yourself, the proteus will do the job however, but may well not be as efficient at it.

Eveboard
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 09-07-2010, 10:22 AM

I own both now and if you want a ship that can do everything itself I'd go for the Proteus. The drone subsystems leave you spare high slots for probe launcher, cloak and salvager without losing much damage. If you have a friend or another account in a cov ops probing, Tengu all the way.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 09-07-2010, 10:28 AM

yeah, that's my main idea i want an 'all in one' boat.

from what i've seen the proteus had rather nifty buffer-tank capabilities, couple that with my rather good drone skills, a cloak, and the ability to STILL fit hacker/salvager/probe lauhncer/analyzer it seems very able to me.

It's just every post you see on the proteus has "get tengu" on it. :-)

Am quite tempted (for a longer term goal) by the amarr one, i like the idea of drones, lazers AND no ammo to worry about ^^

Righto, i'll continue my training once i resub, (i'm about 3 weeks of flying one at decent skills) and then i've just got to get the funds together lol (currently at 54 mill lol)

-------
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 09-07-2010, 03:35 PM

I've not used a tengu in wh yet- but i do use it now for l4s and used to use it on non nueting l5s. I can take full aggro in any room or bonus room in any l4 in it.,and afaik there was only 1 l5 i had to manage aggro- but its been so long since i did them that i can't remember what one it was Dmg isn't great tho unless you use furies (i don't as i don't like them) think i get about 610dps

Tengu tho is crap for pvp - look at my BC kills and you can see all you need is a few nuets and they only take about 8-9k dmg before they die.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 09-07-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vartriiness View Post
    Tengu tho is crap for pvp - look at my BC kills and you can see all you need is a few nuets and they only take about 8-9k dmg before they die.
    Psh, Tengu is an excellent ship all round. Not cost effective for PvP, of course, but still good.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 09-07-2010, 10:24 PM

Well you have to take the race cruiser skill to V which is between 25-35 days depending on attributes / implants + the T3 race skills which to take the important ones to where they need to be is around 15 days. So around 50 days. And if you ever want to fly a gallente T2 cruiser, you'll have to train cruiser again.
    Eve: Sabr Sheppard
    I reject friend requests from random people so let me know if your going to add me.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 09-08-2010, 08:11 AM

ah sod that, i'll stick with the proteus then lol.

-------