Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > Team Fortress 2

#1   Report Post  
    Old 09-03-2010, 02:25 PM

Default The mentioned second server & [FBP]

This is likely to become a rather large wall of text, so be warned.

This first bit, I'm just going to be explaining about what FBP is and how it was formed, If you allready know, or don't give a sh*t, you may want to skip a bit. (the first two paragraphs)

Right so Funky Bear Pie was the love child of the PCG server, regulars "FunkFusionator", "Vannilla Bear" & "Pork Pie" Hence the name. The original thirty members or so where all but, all PCG regulars. The top three players on PCG (vanilla bear, cap'n jabba and wibbles), with around 500 hours on the server each, where in the group when it first started. Just to clarify, when this group started with about 30 members, they where all pcg regulars, and now with 135 members, its pretty much the same story, because if a non PCG regular joins, he quickly becomes one.

Once the group had extended to over sixty members we got our self a little prebuilt website (but we have now moved to funkybearpie.co.uk) and they idea for having our own server came in (this is the what we will eventually come back to) between six or seven players (all of them also PCG regulars, not to stress a point) dished out a total of "£135-00" and we bought a server (195.90.98.35:27015) about four months ago. Over all we have be en having allot of fun with it, despite a lul in the population due to star craft 2's release. Funk made use a couple of vids [url]http://www.youtube.com/user/funkybearpie#p/a/u/1/SwbXtqznVok[/url] , we are currently talking with some frag movie pro's to make us another. We also have 3 6v6 competitive teams and one highlander team for the community challenge, soon to be extended to two. We also play many other games together including start craft 2 and Left 4 Dead 1&2 (which funk also makes vids for on his own channel [url]http://www.youtube.com/user/funkfusionator#p/u/6/rWZUJTlL8RM[/url])

So basically all I wanted to say with the above is, FBP is the spawn on the PCG server, we have a server, and there was talk about need for a second pcg server. I hope you can see what I am getting at.

So... How about instead of buying a server, and running it along side the current one. You use us as your overflow server, the server, bought by your community? Its good for us, because keeping our server populated is hard, even with 135 people. The original server can stay largely vanilla, while we can offer custom maps, and new stuff that requires too much time for the PCG writers to organise for us. I think the server should be different from the original, ours is currently only 20 slot, and we are currently thinking, do we want to boost it to 24 slot? Or drop it to 18 slot, and make it a highlander server (one of each class per team). We often turn alltalk on, and we mostly have crits off due to popular demand.

If the PCG writers want anything specific out of there second server, then that's fine by me (as long as it doesn't involve more than 24 slots, or instant respawns). These sort of details are open to debate, people may find the current config to "harsh" for some people.

We would love to associate with the PCG server more, we can offer PCG players a server to play new maps, in different ways, on a server run by PCG players. Then we can use some of PCG's massive popularity to keep the server populated, and the community active.

Last edited by Arthur; 09-12-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: The gamma Nazi's where a groping
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 09-03-2010, 02:40 PM

Sounds good. I enjoy playing against the FBP bunch but never realised they were part of the PCG community.

I'll remember to pop by next time the PCG server is full.

Btw, personally, I prefere 24 slot servers. 20 is in no way bad though.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 09-03-2010, 02:58 PM

Thanks man,

Infact there have been 2 other community's spawned from PCG, the first one was the "Java Server" run by "java_guy" who I have been lead to believe knew and still knows the PCG crew in real life. But they didn't have the time to grow there community, and they slipped off the map a few years ago. The other was "SSS" they had there own server, and grew to about the size of fbp is currently. But the the main owners weren't really looking to expand, they got heavily into the competitive tf2 scene. Kept locking up there server for private match's, while they where being mentored by "Hunter." after a while they grew tired, end up playing far too much WOW and that folded also. We do still have quite a few of them in FBP though.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 09-03-2010, 08:15 PM

Plus we normally have a least one moderator on at most times
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 09-03-2010, 11:21 PM

Could you hint less subtly adam? lol

Any who, it was brought to my attention by Cap't Jabba, that you may not like this idea, because multiplay give you the servers, and in return you give them a little shout out in the mag, and that great. But it was pointed out, that maybe, that would cause you to not like my idea, because it might spoil your deal with multiplay?

If this isn't the case, just ignore me, but if it is the case... Then I'm going to be cheeky and say, you could buy a server on multiplay and let us "have it" we can put in the shout outs for multiplay and so on.

Just a suggestion.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 09-03-2010, 11:31 PM

I used to love J-Server, I used it first when it was run by Java_Guy, who I got on with very well I got well known by the community as being a bastard scout but then Java left it to someone else and by the time I came back it was run by someone else and the server was locked and there were in-community rows, and I got locked out because the person who ran the server didn't know me, and shit went down and eventually J-Server disbanded...which was a shame, I enjoyed playing on it.

Ahh, memories.

I doubt PCG will mind you advertising the server. This is the 'Play with PC Gamer' forum after all and you guys are part of the community. Many a time, I've been part of Team Pie on the PCG server
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 09-04-2010, 12:21 AM

I'm on team bear... DIE INFIDEL!

I went through a phase of playing allot of counter strike during the rain of the j-server, so I can't speak happy memory's about it, but I have yet to find someone with the j-server tag, that I didn't like.
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 09-04-2010, 07:57 PM

sounds interesting. I would ask if i could join you guys, but i'm so bad i'd just embarrass myself. Maybe at some point in the future, eh?
      #9   Report Post  
    Old 09-04-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coccyx View Post
    sounds interesting. I would ask if i could join you guys, but i'm so bad i'd just embarrass myself. Maybe at some point in the future, eh?
    We aren't bothered about your skill, we are a very friendly group, all you really need to be is friendly and mature, and make sure that you occasionally grace either the PCG and FBP servers The best thing to do is to join us over at our website and just join in.
      #10   Report Post  
    Old 09-04-2010, 11:20 PM

As adam said, the only criteria we have for people joining is... We like you.

Chat with us on our forums, on the PCG server, on the FBP server and if you have a mic, you could join us in our mumble channel (details on the "server details" section of our website)

Tags

fbp funky bear pie server