Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Play with PC Gamer > World of Warcraft Guild (EU)

#1   Report Post  
    Old 08-01-2012, 05:20 PM

Cool Off Topic: Youtube not buffering

As many of us use YouTube regularly you may have come across the problem of YouTube not buffering when you pause a video.
    It seems YouTube are trying to reduce their bandwidth usage and if you do not have a pretty quick net connection you have probably been doing what I do. I start the video, pause it to allow it to buffer and then play it. Due to the change made by YouTube recently, it now limits you to only about a minute of buffering.

But I have found a solution :
    Log in to your account. Go to Settings (Click your username in the top right) and then Playback. Select "I have a slow connection. Never play higher-quality video". Now save this setting and you should be ok.
    Though the default for playback will be lower, you can change this on an individual video settings.

So far this has worked for me and also now allows me to go any part of the video, which used to cause the darn thing to redownload in the past.

Hope this is of help to some of you
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 08-01-2012, 09:33 PM

That's what you get for using a tin can and a piece of string as an internet connection in the valleys lol

(Can't believe I got in on a Welshie joke before Beli lol)
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 08-01-2012, 09:59 PM

one thing I can say if your using chrome and having flash problems (I was getting no sound and the videos just stopping for no reason) go to "chrome://plugins" flash should say it has 2 files, disable the newest files and it will fix all your flash problems.

as for the youtube buffering thingy and not loading much, if you change the global flash settings you can tell it to allow websites to download more data (believe the default is only about 100kb) this could be limiting how much it will pre load.

Goff it is well known he doesn't use a tin can and piece of string, just like fat people the connection can't climb the valleys.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 08-01-2012, 10:37 PM

Or use firefox. your choice
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 08-02-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goffik View Post
    Or use firefox. your choice
    Of course. Only nubs use IE
    Never tried Chrome until forced to today (actually yesterday now).
    I've been sorting out a friends PC which he uses Chrome on. I tell you some people, make that a lot, should not have a PC. Bloody full of malware and crapware. Seems ok now thankfully.
    Anyway, Chrome. Seems ok, just nothing obvious about it to take me away from Firefox.

Goffik : There is nothing wrong with my can. It's the length of my string which is the problem

Last edited by Zalid; 08-02-2012 at 12:50 AM.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 08-02-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    as for the youtube buffering thingy and not loading much, if you change the global flash settings you can tell it to allow websites to download more data (believe the default is only about 100kb) this could be limiting how much it will pre load.
    Though my solution above works for YouTube, I've taken your suggestion and increased this flash limit. Just in case some other site would give me trouble.
    Thanks Bel.
      #7   Report Post  
    Old 08-02-2012, 07:58 AM

Weirdly, Sark and I get this problem despite the fact that we have a great broadband connection.

I will try and see if Zalid's solution solves it but I have no idea why it should!
      #8   Report Post  
    Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 AM

/tech mode on
    Yep. Zalid is right about the buffering thing with YouTube. Beli's flash cache thing works best for flash games and animations, there's some benefit to flash video, but not much, as video streams are,by their nature, large and fill the cache buffer quickly.

Aph, if you're on a fast connection and find that things buffer a lot, you might need to speak to your ISP.

On chrome v ff: I've been using ff since it came out. I reluctantly switched to chrome for speed reasons. I'll probably switch back soon again as chrome is kind of annoying for me.

Additionally, how many of you are still using your ISP's default DNS?
    I know recently BT have had issues with theirs. Check out Google DNS and OpenDNS.
    This speeds up many mid-range connections that have been hobbled by the ISP.

/tech mode off

Dum spiro spero - While I breathe, I hope.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    And when you see them you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻(Link)