Go Back   PC Gamer Forums > Tech

#1   Report Post  
    Old 03-01-2012, 09:15 AM

Default NZXT Screw HARD

so I'm disassembling my phantom in preparation for putting things in it, and I notice that most of the pre-applied screws are on a level of tighness no human can manage

now I'm not the strongest or most confidently dextrous chap in the world, so half an hour ago I contacted a polish friend, a 6'6" hulk of a man who used to make roads and now makes and repairs computers

and he can't get anywhere with the screws holding the fans and dust covers in case either

any tips?

far less urgent, the pop-on-pop-off things that hold the front and top panels onto the case are the best I've ever seen

except one of the top panel poppers, which is unreachable from below and will not budge when the panel is lifted as intended - it's on the front corner, so I'm loathe to break it off, but should I?

Holy Cow - Warren Spector
    Life is too fucking short to hear or play Freebird - Isaac Brock
    I hope I see you later, where everybody's okay - Randy Brewer

Last edited by DuddBudda; 03-01-2012 at 09:39 AM.
      #2   Report Post  
    Old 03-01-2012, 09:32 AM

If you have got any of the screws out on a fan have a look if they have a blue or red tint on the thread as a lot of firms are using glue stuff to keep the screws in, was a pain in the ass when I changed the cooler on my 470 about 14 screws all glued I ended up having to drill one of them.
      #3   Report Post  
    Old 03-01-2012, 09:40 AM

that sounds all too possible, I'll see if Cam agrees

oh, and while I was typing Cam just wrenched the top panel off - shattering the popper-thing as it came out butt hat is one less thing to worry about

UPDATE:

Cam says no, they aren't glued, just ridiculously tight

I'm just gonna get on with the rest of the build and sort it later, cheers though

Holy Cow - Warren Spector
    Life is too fucking short to hear or play Freebird - Isaac Brock
    I hope I see you later, where everybody's okay - Randy Brewer

Last edited by DuddBudda; 03-01-2012 at 09:57 AM.
      #4   Report Post  
    Old 03-01-2012, 11:06 AM

sorry for the slow reply I had actually been posting from my phone, there is also the chance if it isn't glue that what ever tool they have used for the self tappers has went too fast and melted in place, there are any number of stupid reasons it could of happened, but you can't really over tighten into plastic without trashing the hole as the thread you make in the hole is really weak.

if the screws have a decent head and you have a tool that will let you use a screw driver bit as a wrench shocking them (a short quick knock) could break the bond if they are melted in place or such, but you obviously have to be sure of the screw head holding up.
      #5   Report Post  
    Old 03-01-2012, 11:11 AM
    Banned

apply some heat. Be careful though to not burn anything.

If you strip them, you will need to drill them out.

another is leverage. use a socket type tool that is "L" shaped, and apply pressure on the screw, while pulling on the furthest end of the handle. add a shaft to the handle if you need more leverage. the longer the handle, the more torque you can apply.

Good luck !

Last edited by American_Freedom; 03-01-2012 at 11:19 AM.
      #6   Report Post  
    Old 03-01-2012, 01:43 PM

I didn't have any problems taking the fans out of my phantom. The hardest part were the screws that kept the top of the case on (not the plastic top, but the metal underneath). It took me forever to get those screws out. It actually stripped two of my screwdrivers, and then I borrowed a much better quality screwdriver from a neighbor and I was finally able to get them out.

| AsRock Extreme3 Gen3 | Intel Core i5 2500K (Stock Cooler) | 8GB G.Skill DDR3 | Sapphire HD 7970 | 1TB WD Caviar Green | 5 TB WD External | Corsair 750HX PSU | Asus Xonar DS | NZXT Phantom | Tt Ultimate Challenger Keyboard | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit | Logitech z623 Sound System |

Steam