PC Gamer Forums

PC Gamer Forums (http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/index.php)
-   Games (http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Games you never uninstall (http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22927)

Mr. Strange 11-19-2012 07:33 AM

Games you never uninstall

I don't know how other people manage their games library - but I tend to rotate through games after 12 months or so of installed time. Sooner in the case of very linear games. (Not to rag on linear games - I love them.)

Just thought I'd throw out a few games I can't imagine being without:

1 - Astral Tournament / Spectromancer. AT is a bit long in the tooth now, but it's still so brilliant... and fills a great 10-minute-game niche, while still sucking me in for hours at a time on occasion.

2 - Magi. Another indie game - it's a wizard duel played out in fast-paced real time. Just like any fighting game, it's all about timing your incantations to find holes in your opponent's spells. You have to guess what they are doing at any given time while you summon creatures, cast bolts, use curses... just fantastic.

3 - Civ IV (with both expansions). Very possibly the best PC game ever. The honestly great multiplayer is what cements this as just too good to lose. Ever.

4 - Starcraft 2. For the next few years, at least, this is something I want at my side as an option. I wax and wane in my interest, but uninstalling it would be insane.

Spatula 11-19-2012 07:43 AM

oooh. good thread.

1- hitman blood money (zoikes)
2- Stalker: COP
3- L4D2
4- minecraft

Aever 11-19-2012 07:46 AM

I don't really bother to un-install games. I tend to be picky when choosing them, but after I purchase a game chances are it will stay on my drives for a long while. Titles I often go back to:

- World of Tanks
- Mafia 2
- Civ 5
- Heroes 5

Mr. Strange 11-19-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spatula (Post 233504)
1- hitman blood money (zoikes)
2- Stalker: COP
3- L4D2
4- minecraft

I love Stalker - I'm right there with you on the last three.

The hitman series, however, has never entertained me. (I only tried the first 3, so maybe they've changed the format?) They seem like the opposite of sandbox games to me - a thousand wrong options, and a few right options hidden in there. At least, every time I tried to do anything it was a dozen re-loads before I made any progress.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aever (Post 233505)
I don't really bother to un-install games. I tend to be picky when choosing them, but after I purchase a game chances are it will stay on my drives for a long while. Titles I often go back to:

- World of Tanks
- Mafia 2
- Civ 5
- Heroes 5

Nice to see Heroes 5 getting some love! Have you tried the sequels? (I think there were two...) Are one/both worth getting?

Does your inclusion of Civ 5 mean that:

a - you like it better than Civ 4
b - you don't have Civ 4

Civ 5 is an excellent game - but Civ 4 is SO GOOD.

daviddanut 11-19-2012 08:18 AM

Crysis is a permanent install on my PC, running around beating Koreans to death with various bits of crap I found in the jungle never gets old. (Death by crab! Fear the wrath of Mr Scuttles!)

GTA IV with a bunch of mods sticks around as well - it looks amazing (With mods), and I have a rapid fire RPG with infinite ammo, plus the winter reskin so the entirety of Liberty City is covered in snow. Makes it look so picturesque as I brutally murder dozens of cops. (Also as a side note, I've played it so much I managed to find my way to Times Square in real life when I visited NYC, I think that might be a sign to move to a different game)

Mass Effect Trilogy - because it's fucking awesome. (Bollocks to the naysayers who claimed ME3 was rubbish)

Aever 11-19-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Strange (Post 233509)
Nice to see Heroes 5 getting some love! Have you tried the sequels? (I think there were two...) Are one/both worth getting?

You mean the expansions? Let me put it this way, without Tribes of the East the game is mediocre at best. Definitely get TotE, which if I recall correctly includes all the previous expansions.

Regarding Civ 4, it would be "b". I will probably try it if I see a major discount somewhere, but from past experiences I know I'll find it hard to adjust to the graphics and UI "downgrade".

Mr. Strange 11-19-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aever (Post 233513)
You mean the expansions? Let me put it this way, without Tribes of the East the game is mediocre at best. Definitely get TotE, which if I recall correctly includes all the previous expansions.

Regarding Civ 4, it would be "b". I will probably try it if I see a major discount somewhere, but from past experiences I know I'll find it hard to adjust to the graphics and UI "downgrade".

Purchased. Installing now. Will play after sleep.

alberthammond 11-19-2012 09:36 AM

Doom/Doom 2 all the way. And Stalker, just about to go back through COP after failing to get into Metro 2033.

Megazell 11-19-2012 11:15 AM

I install games into their own folder called games. Within this folders are others folders: Digital Distribution, Game Tools, Freeware, Retail and F2P. Within the Freeware, Retail and F2P folders are sub section folders: Single Player, Multiplayer and Single Player and Multiplayer.

Unless the SP game is procedural with multiple endings, after they are "ended", they are removed. If the SP game allows mods and/or maps then it is left installed.

Games that I never uninstall:

DooM II
Half Life 2: Deathmatch
Unreal Tournament: GOTY Edition
Left 4 Dead 2
Classic Nexuiz
Shoot First

SAeN 11-19-2012 11:52 AM

Unreal Tournament,
Some form of Call of Duty,
Hearts of Iron 3,
GRID,