PC Gamer Forums

PC Gamer Forums (http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guild Wars 1 & 2 (http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Some advice (http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20400)

Moodswing 08-25-2012 10:22 PM

Some advice

Hi all,

Been playing WoW for the last decade and only ever tried guildwars 1 for a few hours, really enjoyed it but was too involved in WoW.

I really want to make a serious go at enjoying GW2 but need a little advice on profession play-styles. Unfortunately I can really only compare to WoW classes, although I do understand this is a completely different game.

Generally in WoW I really enjoyed the shadow priest, mainly because Im not a huge big fan of melee (enjoy the feel, but Im not very good at it and get kited to death!), Pets aren't really my thing, and I enjoyed the aspect of a ranged class that can take a few hits at the cost of some damage.

Plus the s.priest had a few simple utilities that seemed very balanced, a shield spell every now and then and the odd fear.

Would any of the GW2 professions sort of compare?

Basically a ranged class, not a glass cannon, so hard wearing at the cost of a little power, preferably without pets but not a big issue, and the odd control / protection utility, (health drain would be a bonus).

I was looking at the Mesmer, but it sort of reminds me of a mage style where a few fragile mirror-images is the only protection for a squishy character. Others were potentially Necromancer, Ranger or Elementalist. Would anyone have a view of the pro's / con's of these.

I have done some research, but I find most is a little bias on the net, and I know you guys will be more impartial.

Regards

MS

Mindtaker 10-09-2012 05:56 PM

First of all, one of the great things about GW2 is that you can get a feel for a class pretty fast, owing to the fact that it only takes a few dozen kills to unlock the skills for a given weapon set. You will of course be missing the skills that would fill your utility slots (you buy the skills with skill points you earn, and the slots unlock at predetermined levels). But still, the weapon skills (hotkeys 1-5) are the ones you'll primarily be using. So try all the professions you're interested in, then decide!

Your list is probably more or less the list you'll want to pick from, given your playstyle. Of them, I've only played as an Elementalist, which I'm definitely enjoying. You are a bit of a glass cannon, but the game also gives you plenty of trap/stun moves, in addition to the dodge move that all classes are capable of. Elementalist is very versatile - you have four different attunements (Fire, Water, Earth, Air) which each have different weapons skills and match up with different combat needs (fire=dps, water=healing/support, etc).

While I haven't played it myself, I do have a friend who plays as a ranged (spellcaster) Mesmer, so it's definitely possible.

A few other considerations. First, Engineer might be something to consider. It's a bit tougher than the spellcasters, but it's entirely (or at least almost entirely) ranged. However, the turrets you throw down might be a bit too much like pets for your liking, I don't know. Give it a look, anways.

A second thing to consider is actually warrior. In GW2, Warriors are capable of using some ranged weapons (longbows and rifles, but not pistols, I believe), and they are very survivable, since they wear heavy armor. And if the enemy closes the gap, you can always switch to melee!