PC Gamer Forums

PC Gamer Forums (http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Server (http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Player titles? (http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20040)

NightShift679 08-13-2012 11:55 AM

Player titles?

removed by user

sliver hunter10 08-13-2012 12:18 PM

Now im not part of the US but i must say i love that idea alot

razazeal 08-13-2012 01:00 PM

Sounds more like a jobs system. This is minecraft, not Final Fantasy 4. Titles and Ranks have proven to be unsuccessful on this server. The current title system (minimal at best) should stay the way it is.

Antonius 08-13-2012 02:18 PM

I understand that people will always attempt to stratify and differentiate between themselves.

In a game like minecraft, where anyone can do anything, titles feel a bit like pigeon-holing people into roles.

I mean, on the UK server, I do a lot of crop farming, and its mostly experimental in nature, but I'm in no way a farmer. I also enjoy digging, but I wouldn't be a miner.

The main issue is that groups have a natural tendency to look down on other groups, particularly if there is some visible way to differentiate them. It's a sad fact, but I assumed gaming was inclusive of race, class, colour, creed and politics, save for not being a total **** (Wheaton's Law).

If something like this was put in place, elitists would rise to the top and start making the place not a fun place to be.

Just my 2c, but something to have a ponder about, at least...

SynT 08-13-2012 04:19 PM

Problem with that many classes comes to managing, mods have other things to do than walk around approve buildings, evaluate what you do, and determine that you fit into certain classes. I also suspect some players constantly wants to change their class.

Those titles also clutter up chat, we want least possible tags on players other than the vital info.

NightShift679 08-13-2012 07:15 PM

removed by user

Ratpackin 08-13-2012 10:23 PM

NightShift, despite the negatives cited, there is some merit to your idea.
Perhaps instead of a classification, members can earn titles. To minimize the overhead effort on the part of the mods, there can be a bi-monthly nomination by players for individuals that have earned titles such as pro-builder or red-stone engineer... etc.
If the mods agree with the nominations, a title can be appended or proceed their on-line name.
This may motivate constructive activity on the server, offer a source of pride for players that put in the effort and let others know who's the right one to seek for advice.

Antonius 08-13-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratpackin (Post 215199)
NightShift, despite the negatives cited, there is some merit to your idea.
Perhaps instead of a classification, members can earn titles. To minimize the overhead effort on the part of the mods, there can be a bi-monthly nomination by players for individuals that have earned titles such as pro-builder or red-stone engineer... etc.
If the mods agree with the nominations, a title can be appended or proceed their on-line name.
This may motivate constructive activity on the server, offer a source of pride for players that put in the effort and let others know who's the right one to seek for advice.

That is probably the best implementation if you had to do it. Rather than "clans" of builders, farmers, miners, etc. They'd need to be exceptional and voted on by all mods and admins, otherwise it's employee of the month in terms of recognition, or worse, a popularity contest. Instead of a meritocracy system.

NightShift679 08-14-2012 03:04 AM

removed by user

braiceline 08-15-2012 08:23 AM

I like it :)