Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 won't have dedicated servers, perks and kill streaks detailed
Kotaku have been reporting more leaked Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 information, shedding more light on Modern Warfare 3's multiplayer mode. As well as new kill streaks and individual perks, there will also be a series of team perks that will confer bonuses to every member of a side.
There's some bad news, however. Kotaku say that "this latest Call of Duty still won't support dedicated servers, instead relying on the hosted servers found in previous iterations of the game." For an overview of why this is a problem, check out this analysis of host advantage in previous Call of Duty titles.
Still, there's a silver lining. It looks as though Modern Warfare 2's controversial tactical nuke that would instantly end a multiplayer game if one player got too many consecutive kills will be removed for Modern Warfare 3. Read on for a list of the new perks and kill streaks leaked to Kotaku.
Update: Infinity Ward creative strategist Robert Bowling has tweeted in response to the leak to say that "There is no Stopping Power, OMA, Commando, or Nukes. Beyond that, you’ll have to wait & see."
Kotaku say that the details below are accurate as far as they know, but could change between now and Modern Warfare 3's November release. For more on Modern Warfare 3, check out the details gleaned from the enormous info-leak a few weeks ago, including news of the 20 multiplayer maps, and the two Spec-Ops modes. You can also watch the first Modern Warfare 3 trailer here.
- Blast Shield: Unknown.
- Health Regen: Regenerate health over time.
- Stun Protection: Prevent stunning from flash grenades.
- Blind Eye: This makes you immune to computer-controlled and player-controlled killstreaks. The pro version makes your launchers lock on faster and gives you extra bullet damage to vehicles.
- Assassin: This makes you immune to UAV, thermal, and heartbeat sensors. The pro version also makes you immune to CUAV, EMP and no longer shows your name in red or the crosshair in red when you're targeted.
- Point Guard: Every two assists count as a kill towards your killstreak.
- Dead Silence: You make no noise.
- Recon: Gives you a special kind of radar to spot enemies, most likely. We're not sure on this one.
- EMP Grenade: Temporarily takes out all area electronics.
- Littlebird: A small-manned helicopter that can controlled and used to gun down enemies. [Updated]
- Precision Airstrike: Calls in an airstrike on a targeted area.
- Stealth bomber: Calls in a B2 Spirit to carpet bomb along a line designated by the player.
- Remote Turret: A remote controlled turret.
- Directional UAV: A UAV that can be directed into areas to scan for enemies.
- Remote Mortar: Direct a mortar team using a zoomable camera view of the map to call in strikes.
- Airdrop Trap: A booby-trapped airdrop.
- Ammo Resupply: An ammo reloading airdrop.
- Escort Airdrop: A protected airdrop.
- Specialist Strike Package: This one remains a mystery to us.
Tags: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Activision, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Infinity Ward, multiplayer shooter, first person shooter, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Singleplayer, Call of Duty: Black Ops - Multiplayer, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, E3 2011,